Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Reflection on Part Three: 1950-1980, Separate and Unequal



            In class, we were paired up in 2 groups to work on an assignment based on the notes we wrote from the reading from Part Three: 1900-1950- Separate and Unequal. In the assignment, each group had one facilitator and the rest of the students had to be recorders. Therefore, there were two groups with one facilitator and 5 recorders in each group. Facilitators had to circle and connect words that were similar to each other while recorders wrote down words and phrases and expand on the words and phrases that the facilitator circled. Then we had to do a second part and write down what we wrote to explain what part three in the book was about. What made this assignment interesting was that each team had to communicate with each other without talking. I was one of the recorders and I found this assignment to be interesting in how everyone communicates with each other through silents. Sometimes it was hard because when I wanted to write something down a student already had written down what I was thinking about. So it was like our group had to be competitive and I felt like I had to make sure I get out my thoughts on the paper first because someone would have written it down already. For my group, we were very competitive to have a space to write on the paper but we still were able to work as a team by helping each other expand our words and phrases into more meaning of what was going on in the book. In the second part, I found it a lot easier because we were finally able to speak and write out what we did in actual sentences to what Part Three of the book was about. We were able to come together as a group and really work together properly to get what we all had written in the first part of what I called the lost madness. Each student was able to help each other and explain what part came first all the way to the ending of the chapter. Even though my group was competitive in the beginning we were still able to complete the assignment through our own way of teamwork.

            As I notice the assignment with the other team, you can tell that they really work together in their first part. From the view of their work, it seems like they helped each other expand on their words and phrases as a team and as well as guide each other in their second part. By the looks of it, it seems as if they took turns writing something down and then they helped each other expand their viewpoints on their words and phrases. Overall, each group did a great job with the goal of this assignment to explain what Separate and Unequal was about. Each group had similar ideas but just with a different format off style. We all pull through to really defined this chapter of the book.    

1 comment:

  1. I thought that the assignment in class was a test of teamwork and a great way to narrow down key points of the arguments discussed. I agree that once we were able to speak, it became easier to be more concise with our thoughts. It is good to get ideas down on paper, uninfluenced, so I understand why part one of the assignment was necessary.

    ReplyDelete